The Worldwide Independent Music Industry Network (WIN) is a global forum for the professional independent music industry. It was launched in 2006 in response to business, creative and market access issues faced by the independent sector everywhere. For independent music companies and their national trade associations worldwide, WIN is a collective voice. It also acts as an advocate, instigator and facilitator for its membership.
The membership of WIN is made up of 21 independent music trade associations around the world. The WIN Council consists of 20 directors of influential independent music companies in all key markets around the world who guide WIN’s overall direction. WIN’s entire membership stretches across every continent, with trade associations in all the well-developed legitimate music markets taking a particularly active role.
WIN exists to support the independent music community through interaction with representative trade organisations and groups, and working directly with international music industry bodies on issues of global significance.
Examples of key issues on WIN’s agenda are:
- Monitoring the policies and effectiveness of collective rights management and licensing organisations for independent rights holders
- Working directly with collecting societies to ensure independent rights holders’ interests are properly represented internationally
- Providing legal and commercial support to independent trade associations
- Development of independent trade associations and representative groups in countries where they do not yet exist
- Supporting member trade associations in national copyright, legislative and related issues
- Future protection and development of independent music companies in a rapidly changing market.